Saturday, July 26, 2008

Eczema Improved After 5 Days

Owens skin finally looked good again. Each day there was an improvement and today he was back to his baseline. I realize that ezcema is just as stressful as dealing with hives. If I had a choice, I would much prefer that Owen would get hives over the eczema, because the hives can be relieved with Benadryl within 15 minutes. Eczema takes days to clear up.


On Thursday, I took some time for myself. It was wonderfully relaxing. I started the day visiting blogs and websites to get ideas on what things I can cook for Owen. Then I got my hair cut, which I have not done since Mother's Day '07. Then I went to Whole Foods and spent 2 hours looking for things for Owen and reading labels. It was so much fun. One of my greatest finds was EveryDay brand soft chocolate chip cookies. Owen loves them! He thought they were the greatest. And I was so happy to give him a yummy treat. At least I think they are yummy. I have not dared to take any of Owen's cookies, not even a little bite. I also purchased Sunbutter. It is similar to peanut butter, but it is made from sun flower seeds. Owen really enjoys it. I think he just enjoys some new flavors, since he eats almost the same things every day. Below is a picture of him enjoying dipping food into the Sunbutter. Tomorrow I am going to cook a chicken and pasta dish (I found a corn pasta, that Owen has not had yet). I also hope to make Apple muffins. I had such a fun time at Whole Foods, coming up with all these ideas for food.


Picture of Owen enjoying Sunbutter.

2 comments:

purplemommy said...

Sorry Owen's having a rough month. I'm glad his face is clearing up. It's hard when they are hurting.

By the way, you have been tagged. See the rules at my blog.

Unknown said...

This is my first visit to your blog, which I found by way of "tagging" purplemommy. When I read about Owne's eczema, it brings memories back of my younger child's first year and a half. I feel for you and for Owen.

My son's face had that eczema rash--I had no idea what it was but thought it would go away somehow. And then it spread. Legs, arms. Chest. He would rub his tiny little feet furiously on his crib mattress to relieve the itching. The pediatrician recommended vaseline!? Needless to say, that did not help. While we we waited for the appt with a Children's Hospital dermatologist, we took him to 2 or 3 other allergists/derms. One recommended zyrtec but that just sedated him. Then, we finally had our appt with Children's of Boston (Lexington location) and they prescribed desonide ointment to stop the rash. Here we are now, a few years later, and the eczema is SO much better. The only remaining problem area is behind the knees. And he becomes very itchy everywhere in the hot humid summer weather, so he takes liquid benadryl at night occasionally. We do still put hydrated petrolatum on those potential eczema flare-up spots every day as a preemptive measure.

Poor Owen and poor you. It's tough to watch them suffer like that...

I hope you see some more improvement soon.