Wednesday, July 30, 2008

July Just Won't Go Away!

When I picked Owen up from daycare on Tuesday, July 29th, it started out so normal. It was really hot and humid outside, so the Owen was in the house all day. Cheryl said she thought he might be coming down with a cold because he was sneezing all day. We forgot to give him Claritin that morning, but he was inside all day, so I was surprised that it mattered. Owen woke up from his nap (2:30) sounding congested and slight runny nose. He had minor irritation over his left eye. During the 20 minute car ride home, Owen's face had increased redness, Owen was saying "itch", and itching his legs and face. (Owen was easily distracted by the DVD player in the car) At 3:00, we were home and I noticed raised red bumps on the left side of his face. I gave him .5 teaspoon of Benadryl. At 3: 25 there was no improvement of symptons, and the raised, red bumps spread to the right side of his face. I called Dr. Banks office. They instructed to give him another .5 teaspoon of benadryl and go to Dr. Banks office immediately.
At 3:50 we arrrived at Dr. Banks office. Owen's rash was no long spreading. It was a deeper red, but it was improved. By 4:30, Owen's face had greatly improved. Eczema on trunk and legs are worse. We gave him a third dose of Benadryl at 1900 because of some lingering redness and ezcema.

Dr. Banks believes that Owen is growing increasingly allergic to cats. There are 2 cats at the day care. I was surprised that he thought it was a cat allergy because the rash did not occur until he had left day care.

Today we remembered to give him Claritin before day care. He had a good day at daycare. He was inside again today. Cheryl said that Owen was completely fine all day. There was just a minor spot of redness on the left side of his mouth when I picked him up. But just like yesterday, the redness and itching increased in the car. He got one 3 mm red hive on his right check, just like he did the day before. Owen was sneezing and his nose was running at this point. I thought here I go again! When we got home, I got Owen some juice and an allergy free cookie (Everyday brand, which is my favorite company in the world!) He was out of breath while drinking his juice, but I think that was because his nose was no congested. He had some minor redness around the hive for about an hour, but it all cleared up on its own.

Owen during his reaction (sorry for the scary picture, but I need to document these things for myself):


No comments: