Thursday, September 26, 2013

Kicked Out of the Peanut Patch Study

Owen got 1 of 15 slots in a peanut patch research study at Johns Hopkins.  There are over 200 kids on the wait list, so we were truly grateful for the opportunity. 

The study starts with a food challenge.  There were 7 samples of peanut dust in chocolate pudding.  Each sample was an increased size.  I assumed that after eating the first sample, Owen would breakout in hives, he would get a dose of benadryl, and we'd call it a day.  Every 15 minutes Owen ate sample after sample.  I was in disbelief after Owen ate the 7th sample with only some minor swelling on his lips and complaints of some "tenderness" in his throat.  




In total Owen ate 2 peanuts over the course of 2 hours.   Dr. Woods told us that Owen was no longer eligible for the peanut patch study since he did not react to the food challenge.  He offered an additional peanut challenge, to see if he could tolerate more.   Owen was willing and I was excited.

They mixed together another sample, and Owen immediately fell apart.  He broke out in hives on his face, his eyes were inflamed, and he had pain in his throat.  We immediately called it a day.



The doctor said that since Owen shows a small amount of tolerance, we have the opportunity to try to maintain that tolerance and build it up over the next year.  It is important to be consistent.  He told us that Owen can tolerate 3/4 teaspoon of peanut butter each day for one month. After a month, contact his office, and they will give me guidance on what is next.    It is important to do the peanut butter when he is not exercising, since that impacts the immune system.

I was a bit nervous doing the food challenge at home, so I gave him 1/4 teaspoon instead.  I'll try a 1/2 teaspoon tomorrow.... maybe. 




I never imagined that Owen would show tolerance to peanuts at this point.  I'm am so thankful to God for how far Owen has come with his food allergies.  I know God is in control of all things, and today I am celebrating that Owen continues to get healthier each day. 

No comments: