Friday, September 27, 2013

Never Hesitate To Use the Epipen

I've heard that you should never hesitate to use the epipen.  I've read stories from other parents who urge people never to hesitate and they said their kids would have been better off if they received the epipen sooner.  I knew it ... but I hesitated tonight... and I learned my lesson.

Owen was on day 2 of a small dose of peanut butter at home.  We gave him the peanut butter at 7:30.  Owen watched Star Wars for a bit with his dad.  At 8:15 it was time for bed, and he complained of itching (which is very common for Owen) so we gave him his nightly dose of Hydroxyzine.  Owen fell asleep without any incident.  Doug heard him coughing a continuous dry cough, which didn't sound right.  Doug went to check on Owen and he was sleeping and coughing and wheezing.  Doug picked him up and brought him into the bathroom and discovered hives all over his body and swelling in the face.

We gave Owen 3 teaspoons of Benadryl and drove to the hospital *which was my mistake*.   I gave Owen my phone to play Subway Surfers to distract him.  It seemed like the hives were improving, but he told me multiple times that he felt like he was dying.

When I arrived at the hospital they took him immediately into a room and gave him epinephrine and a steroid.  The ER staff was quick and amazing, and he looked much better in 25 minutes.   Once all the excitement was over, the doctor sat down with us and told us that we should have used the epipen, and Benadryl was not appropriate for his reaction.  I get it.  I promise.  I will never hesitate again. Sigh.  

No comments: